Friday, May 30, 2008

Week One

... I'm still here. 
I survived my first week of a doctorate program and I am pretty excited. There are over 60 people in my program and there is a good chance that many of them are smarter or harder working than me. There is also a good chance that at least a handful of them are idiots that are going to make me still look really smart. 

We met our cadavers this week and dove right into dissections. My team and I have removed all of the skin and fat from the upper body. Nasty right? Wrong. It was amazing to see what body tissues look like up close and under the skin. The smell is not as bad as I thought it would be either.
As if classes and labs this week were not overwhelming enough, we were also given the opportunity to take a mock version of the Board Certification Exam that we will take at the end of our program. Our instructors apparently felt is was necessary to show us how much we do not know just yet. It was a beating, but I got 58% which I am kinda proud of.
Life in a one bedroom apartment is getting a little bit lonely, but I am very thankful for the new friends that I have made. 
I am now looking forward to a weekend of studying in solitude. God bless grad school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Came over from Bonem's blog. It's good to hear what your up to and I'm glad that you're settling in and finding it all exciting! Cadavers, hmmm, not sure if I'd be as enthralled, but maybe, I don't know!

Grad stuff starts tomorrow for me!...